At BetterCloud—like most companies—we migrated to fully remote work in March 2020, but unlike a lot of companies, we have guaranteed work from home until at least February 1, 2021. This has been a major shift for us. While our company did not prohibit working remotely, we were founded on a strong in-office culture that our CEO David Politis consistently touted.Given this drastic change, the analytics team at BetterCloud was curious how COVID-19 ripple effects have altered our business, through the lens of the data we ingest. To analyze all of this data, we decided to use Tableau, our analytics platform of choice for all of our business analytics. We have anecdotally heard that our customers have been dealing with the same changes, so we feel confident this analysis is indicative of a broader trend in the workplace. We have broken up the effects into a few sections:
- How have BetterClouders’ workstyles changed?
- How have our customers’ behaviors in the product changed?
- How have our interactions with prospects and customers changed?
- Large meetings are a thing of the past. When working remotely, small targeted meetings are key to productivity. [Jump to section]
- Remote tools like Slack, Zoom, and Google Meet are being used to their full potential. [Jump to section]
- Without lengthy commutes, people are starting and ending their work days earlier; IT/support teams should plan their hours accordingly. [Jump to section]
- Without the ability to stop by a co-worker’s desk to ask a quick question, employees want self-serve analytics. [Jump to section]
- Given the shift to remote work, people are craving a sense of community to connect with others. This is manifesting through an increase in public channel creation in Slack and the influx in growth of BetterIT. [Jump to section]